Pilau rice is a South Asian rice dish; it gets its delicious flavouring from the fried onions and light spices.
½ onion (thinly sliced)
2 cups of raw basmati rice
2 cups water
5 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1. Preheat the oven to 250°F/120°C.
2. Put the sliced onions into a large ovenproof pot. Add the oil and fry until the onions are really dark and almost black.
3. Add in 1 cup of water and boil.
4. Add salt, garam masala and chilli powder to the pot and mix.
5. Wash the raw rice thoroughly and add it into the pot, add 1 cup of water, should be at least ½ cm above the rice. Mix well.
6. Leave the rice on a high heat until the water dries up very slightly. There should still be enough water bubbling above the surface.
7. Place the whole pot with the lid in a preheated oven. After exactly 25 minutes check and mix gently.
(Approximate cooking time 40 minutes)